Wednesday, March 25, 2015

The Dancer


I thought one phone call to my go-to guy in Marin would take of this.  After all it's walnut and California is loaded with it.  But one call didn't do it, took a whole bunch of 'em.

We even had an appointment set up with an outfit in Oregon.

We, we being Ken and I, were looking for slabs of walnut for the lobby of a new building going up in downtown SF.  Ken, he's a metal guy.  He's also the guy that designed what we're building together. I'm doing the wood portion of the pieces.

First one is a bar of sorts for the lobby.

Finally found what we were looking in the self named Garlic Capital of the World....Gilroy, California.

First thing the old guy said to me as I stepped up to shake his hand was "Didja bring your fucking 6 shooter?"  I guess I deserved that as I was wearing my straw cowboy hat and snapped scalloped yoke flannel westerny cowboyish looking shirt.  In soft pastels.
He also almost kicked us out after less than five minutes because we didn't spend enough time on his fucking website beforehand.
He softened up after I realized that he needed some shit thrown back at him.  So throw I did.

Great day down there talking with him.  Third generation sawyer but also a Stanford grad, also lived in Japan, also Olympic level Judo teacher, etc.   Interesting as hell.
At 81, still loves to go out dancing.

His fork lift was a belching old thing that immediately filled the place with stuff you didn't want in your lungs.  This was his evac system.

Telling one of his stories.
We bought these three and buying more next week when we go down with the truck.
His wife.  She deals with the money exchanging hands.  No credit cards.  Cash or check only.



No comments:

Post a Comment