We'll begin Phase 2 after a few last Phase 1 pics.
The two halves of the tabletop right before glue up.
Let's just talk a bit about those pipe clamps. I had a house in Berkeley back in the 90's that I put an outside deck on. My son, Bryant, and I did it. The neighbors eventually started it calling it "Kirchner's Folly."
I basically built it like a huge piece of furniture, it was big, it was a hyper intricate shape. Most of it put together without nails or screws. Used very complicated Japanese timber joints in Chechen wood which is a dense dense wood.
It all had to be sucked together a little at a time and I latched upon buying long pipe clamps that I could extend by joining ten foot lengths of black plumbing pipe with screw joints. 30' long.
So I used those here since the table top is quite long.
We sold the house and I ran into the man who bought it later on one day. I asked why he wanted the house so bad, because he paid over asking.
"It was the deck."
Alright back on topic.
During the coarse sanding grits on something I like to cover the surface with pencil marks. When you sand off the pencil mark, you know you're good to move on to another spot.
At the present moment, the top is standing up on edge while I fill in those damn beetle trails. Early morning coffee light here.
The legs will be two pedestal types. Took my small scale drawings up to full size. I don't do the full size drawing thing too often. But I needed the curves to look right so this time I did.
The superstructure will be these 8"x8" Ash I glued up. There will be a stretcher located slightly below mid point. Laying out the mortise for that with the marking knife.
Drilled out from both sides since the bit wasn't long enough to go the full 8".
Was able to pop out the inside with some gentle persuasion.
Then you sort of just pare off the high points.
And ready to be wrapped up with Walnut. The mortises are at the same height, but the one on the left is upside down. Also note the upright but bottom side of the top behind.