Saturday, May 27, 2017

My First East Coast Show!!!!

Fred got a shop.
You don't need to know Fred to know Fred if you've been to his shop.
First impressions are first impressions.  It's messy, it's filled to the brim with flotsam.
And jetsam.
I doubt there's a sharp chisel in there.
He throws em in a drawer.  Yeah, they're a crisscrossed jumble of old and tired chisels in a drawer.
You think, so this is Fred.

But spend some time in there.
Walk around quietly.
Observe and feel.
See how this object fits in with the object next to it.
How that picture on the wall just seems so perfect in it's placement.
The big window,
The shape of the roof,
The parts of finished projects on the walls
The parts of yet to be finished projects all around.

And sooner or later you'll see that the shop is nothing but an exquisite piece of performance art.
And if you're there with Fred to talk about stuff you'll see everything is placed for a higher reason.
Nothing is by chance.
It's all visually pieced and placed together in the most beautiful of FredSpiritLogic.

Fred's got all of Dad's tools.  I was always flying in there and couldn't take anything with me.
Fred...well he would drive his truck and load up for the trip back.

Dad had a shop.  A basement shop (and a two car garage that couldn't hold cars because both of them were filled to brim with crap.)
Many fathers come home from work and mix up a gin and tonic first thing.  Not Dad.  Maybe he would throw five minutes of ball with us but soon after he headed in to change out his white shirt and tie for work clothes.  Into the shop to make something or out to the garage to maintain something.
Thing is Dad always bought crap tools. I don't have a problem with Fred having them.  Really.
Well, I did like that car jack he had.  It was green right Fred?  I think you could've jacked up a house with it.
Maybe that huge block and tackle...I could use that.

And Dad had his father's tools.

Grandpa had a shop....well, he must've but I don't remember it.  See Grandpa made violins...and repaired violins...so he must have had a shop....and taught violin.
Dad got his tools.
And Fred got those too.  It's only right that he did.


See Fred is an architect.  He's also a contractor.  He needs those things.

So whenever I do something wood related and a write a blog about it I send Fred a link to it.

The recent door I made I sent a link to Fred, he writes back "I liked one of your photos so much I had Jean print it out and we put it in the front window.

Fred has an old late 1800's brick building in the old section of a historic Virginia town.  18 W. Washington St. Lexington.

My first east coast show!

Love you Bro.

No comments:

Post a Comment