Tuesday, April 3, 2018

1060 pounds/square foot

And I'm hoping for 1768 pounds per square foot if I can get it.

A hole in the hide.
For Jon H's bag I thought I would try sucking down the wet leather around the mold rather than using two molds with mechanical clamps applying the force.  By sucking I mean using a vacuum bag to create the force pulling the leather around corners and the ribs.

The mold, the bag, the pattern, the leather.  By the way, Sharpies run when the alcohol based shellac is applied to seal the mold.

Testing it with strips of scrap first.  Wanted to see what it looked like if I use an additional form during the vacuum.
Decided to forgo the additional forms and just use the bag.




I have a very small compressor and using the handy chart online it looks like I'm putting a little over 1000 pounds of pressure per square foot.

At that pressure it does it give a real softness to the bends and folds.  I'm kinda liking it and will design for that.
The inside and outside of the dried leather.



But.....have a reconditioned pump coming that will pull 25-26" of mercury that should put close to 1800 pounds on it.  I know, I just said I liked the look of the soft pull, but I have to see what the additional pressure does.
Might be better, might be worse.  More than likely it will just be a different look.

And cutting the pattern for the second part of the bag, the flap portion.  I think it may come out looking like a Great Horned Owl.

No comments:

Post a Comment