Tuesday, December 24, 2019

Let There Be Light

This was the process for making the shades.  First constructed some out of the Ponderosa Pine but in the end did not like how it looked next to the Eucalyptus and so did the Doug Fir for real.

The veneer was jointed and then glued into longer strips.

 Some shavings from fitting the eggcrate crosses.

The long strips of veneer were first epoxied to the crosses.

Then the veneer was joined together where it met.  Ended up using magnets for clamping pressure as ordinary clamps were just too heavy and awkward to use without them splitting the veneer.
Also do not use the magnets without a sheet of waxed paper in between.  You've been warned.
I've been matter of fact about the process of gluing the veneer into shades but don't let that fool you. It was a 3-4 cocktail at the end of the day process just to ground me enough to do more the next day.  Made quite a few more than I ended up using because there was a lot of attrition by cracking or by me throwing it against the wall in fits of unbridled fury.
I'm very glad I read the I Ching all those years.
"Perseverance is the Way of the Superior Man," I kept repeating to myself.


The Euc will be the holder of the shades and everything had to be done with it being suspended.
Two SkyHi Combos along with two C-Stands allowed me to assemble everything.

Viewing some of the lights during the assembly process.
Reflected in the espresso machine.




The entire setup was put on wheels and directed into the kitchen area.
The SkyHi's go up to 15' so I lifted it a bit at a time into final position.


Cabled it to the ceiling (twice).  I didn't like my initial height on it.
Wired a dimmer switch to it, turned it on.



















I will wait for one year to determine whether I scrap it and start over.  It is growing on me, the light coming off of it is like firelight.  So warm and beautiful.




No comments:

Post a Comment