Tuesday, March 16, 2021

Bonus Project!!

 I've been using Japanese water stones to hand sharpen since about 1975.  So I can do that.

Also have a powered water cooled slow RPM grinder.  I'm not tied to any one sharpening system.

Not sure when I came upon this, probably in the mid 80's, it's a hand jig. Brian Burns came out with a little booklet and jig. I immediately adopted the double bevel concept to the jointer and planer blades.  No tear out, I've not looked at how I orient the grain when pushing it through the machines since then.

Built his stone holding box but modified it a bit.  Instead of the stones sitting on screws, I put cams under the stones to push them up to a reference point that didn't move.

After 30 years I took it apart to improve on the cam system.  That's the old one above.

This time around I used the age old idea of wedges to push up the stones.


The jig that Brian sold was the heart of the whole thing.  It's wide stance makes it rock steady.  You can hone a 1/8" chisel perfectly without rocking or digging into the stone.  Also you see the cut out on the jig, you can put gooseneck chisels in there.  You can sharpen scraper plane blades with their super high angles because of the wide stance and holding ability.



 You make this little jig to place the blades away at a consistent distance, so once the sharpening angle has been decided, everything is repeatable.

Email buddy, BikerJen, tells me Brian no longer sells the metal jig.

No comments:

Post a Comment