Sunday, May 16, 2021

Sunday Speedbump

 You know how good it feels as you slide in the groove and hit that smallest of speedbumps.

So nice.

Something's come up that will take me away from finishing up the Purely Paso Wine Table for the next couple/three weeks.

I'll bring you up to about 45 minutes ago.

Switched from muscling large thick straight wood to swoopy curvy dips and dives in pieces of wood that I can carry with one arm.

The bottom of the pedestal legs.




 Not sure what to call these pieces....the lower "urn"shapes?


The top and bottom of the Ash column was cut to accept the top and bottom legs and outriggers.  Did what I could on the table saw but finished the depth of the cut with the band saw.  "B" is for bottom.  I really like to label everything to prevent mistakes.


I think using files and rasps on wood is one of those dying aspects of woodworking.  And cabinet scrapers.

But it's so satisfying shaping wood with rasps.  These Japanese Iwasaki rasps are unbelievable.  Very aggressive but the surface they leave is actually very smooth.  Often very little is left to smooth after using them.  Find them in whatever country you're reading from.  http://www.iwasaki-y.com/english/index.html



Latched on the idea of working the large concave curves with the belt sander.  I put a few layers of gaffer tape on the edge of the sander and then tracked the belt off the platen a bit to create a rounded profile.  Works good if you sort of "pulse" the sander on and off and use a light touch.


The legs were half lapped.  You can see a single one near the floor in the background.


Looking at the elements in their elemental stages.  That black streak is some epoxy filling a defect that I haven't taken off yet.


The lower "urn" shapes were mitered two ways.  I could rip one side, which of course, is the way easier way.  The other side I had to run through the saw with the sliding table as a miter gage.

Rip.

Sliding table miter fence.


They came out real nice.



At this point in time, just about every horizontal space has something on it.  Using the kitchen island marble top to see what the urns look like in a dry fit.


Again, seeing what the elements look like.  Still nothing has been glued or put together yet.  Well except for the legs in the column.



It's starting to look exactly like I drew it!


Alright, folks, see you in a few weeks.  Adios.

Hey, also, the people behind the blog is telling me that they are no longer going to support you who have signed up for email notifications starting in July I think.  Thanks to all those people who signed up.  I appreciate it.



No comments:

Post a Comment