Wednesday, June 19, 2024

This and That

 On the way to pick out some wood at Aborica in Western Marin

A spin the bottle post on unrelated topics.

First up is the short trip to pick out the wood for Taylor's furniture piece.  It's just a wonderful drive out there through western Marin. I'm thinking I won't show the wood or the progress to the very end to keep it all nice and tidy.





I will show some of the sawdust from the wood I picked out.

F.O.G had another meeting.  The Fraternal Order of the Glass.  F.O.G. is an informal getting together to taste alcohol, always one specific type.  We drink what we brung.  Sometimes formal with writing of tasting notes and comparing this and that, sometimes it's more just shoot the shit and drink some.

This meeting was all about Armagnac.  Held up at Tony's design studio so I blurred out client related stuff.


Frank is a new addition to the band. Frank walks in with his guitar and a 6' long board of special effects pedals and without much ado we launch into a two hour jam.  Two-three times we may stop to breathe and refresh. And then he's gone.

Tony with Pick in Mouth


My hand on the housemade 4' long rattle stick


A couple decades ago I decided to scratch a line on the table saw to show me exactly where the saw blade cut.  Worked great but over time it became illegible from other scratches so I thought I would try a different method.

With a end mill I routed a very shallow groove on the iron surface of the table saw in front of the blade.  It's about a 1/64" deep by 5/16" wide.  It runs from the front of the saw to the blade, so about 11" long.

In that groove I put a strip of white tape and pressed it down real good.  With a piece of wood clamped to the miter so it won't move, you run it through the saw.  That will show you exactly where the blade cuts.

Then take a marking knife and hold against that piece of wood and pull the miter back, scribing a line in the white tape.

Do the same for the other side of the blade, then peel off the middle section of the tape.  You now know exactly where the width of the blade is .


The tape is below the surface of the table and thusly out of danger from getting torn up with material traveling over it.

Here's a piece of wood with the knifed marking ready to be cut.  The pencil mark is there just so I can find the knife mark more easily.


Bonus pic.

I visited my brother, he's an architect.  Deciding what color to paint his old office as he remodels it into a family art gallery.


1 comment: