Sunday, May 26, 2013

Jockey Box Cover

This brewery emailed me and asked if I could made some jockey box covers for them.  Huh?  Yes, that's what I said too.  Apparently a jockey box is an ice cooler with taps on the outside and a bunch of coiled pipes that keg beer runs through.  Fill the cooler up with ice and as the beer travels from the keg and round and round the coils inside the box it comes out real cold like.

Jockey Box

The breweries take these to outside events or tastings and as every good marketing person knows you don't want your product coming out of some crappy looking dirty cooler.

The jockey box covers I made are essentially a three sided hinged front with a top that sits on top.  As I was talking with the brewery client I said I should inlay their logo on the front.  I was going to use some heavily figured maple for the inlay, their logo is one large breaking wave with a half moon in the background.  Just as I was about to start the inlay I decided to call down there once more to make sure they were good with the concept.  During the call it all changed to me pounding their logo into a sheet of copper instead.  I ended up sinking the copper below the surface and filling it with self leveling epoxy to keep the copper out of harms way.

Simple project, simple photos.  These were taken on my bench and I got rid of the background to make them more legible.

Buy here



5 comments:

  1. The oldest guys out there know Jockey Box Covers are a must have for beer festivals. This is one of the coolest ways they can advertise their brand and leave a lasting impression on their future craft beer followers. Nice job, we build them too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. These are beautiful! May I ask what you charged for them?

    ReplyDelete
  3. E me and I'll give you a number. I ended up making three of these for the same brewery so it was a package price.
    And Thanks!
    Paul

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Paul,

    I'm interested in ordering some for DC Brau Brewing Company in Washington, DC. Can you send me your pricing details and turnaround time? sarah@dcbrau.com

    Cheers,
    Sarah

    ReplyDelete