Saturday, September 5, 2015

Angel of Mary

I'm thinking it was an Angel that deposited Mary.  Late in 2014, so many things were going on...big life changes... and wham out of the blue Mary came to the studio.
I must admit She caught me off guard.  I mean where did she come from before the studio?  Why was she left on the street like she was, unwanted and alone.  Somehow the Angel convinced me that I needed to have one more thing, a Mary, in my big collection of things.

I was a bit annoyed I had to let her stay.  I mean, a broke down Mary?  I needed a plastic Mary?
But the Angel only laughed and insisted.

She was placed on the ground first by the music, there was an electrical outlet close by, but soon moved to live under the liquor cabinet.  The move to the alter beneath the alcohol was a type of creative completion.  I'm sure it was something the Angel started and I finished.  Soon, since Mary had a large hole in her gut, it was only right to place incense in there to heal her and the sweet tendrils of Chandan smoke started drifting out of the top of her head.  You see she was missing the top of her head as well.

And again, out of the blue, in my email box one morning, was the question.  "I saw your liquor cabinet in a video,  could I include it in an exhibition that I'm curating for a museum?"

Was there a connection you wonder?  That's hell to the yes, there was. It only took having Mary under the cabinet for a month, gently swaddling the cabinet above in her smoke and love for the invite to happen.  Come on, the cabinet sat there for a couple years before, like some Buddha in a cave.  Just sitting there.  Oh sure, serving drinks but certainly not heading out into the big wide world.
There just has to be an Angel/Mary intervention going on.  Gotta be.

The exhibit is at the Napa Valley Museum from Sept 18-Nov 29.  Curated by Nancy Willis.

Nancy, the curator, wanted to actually see the cabinet before committing to taking it.  I was hoping she would see that Mary had become part of my piece and would include her in the show.   No.


Thank you Angel for guiding me to the light.
Thank you for letting me see the light.
Thank you for showing me yours.



No comments:

Post a Comment