Sunday, August 28, 2016

OD Talisman

Early Friday afternoon I send a clipped email to my Utah people...."Coming in for a quick couple for Laura's happyhour."

Laura is the bartender I've been following for twenty years at this point.  Wherever she bartends, I go there.  She always hooks me up for a couple free tugs on something.

I get there on Friday afternoon and Lee's got a bar stool.  There's a plastic bag on the bar next to him with something in it.  I sidle up, it's pretty crowded in the Utah so I don't have a stool.  Laura pours me a beer without needing a prodding from me.  The guy next to me halfway spills his beer, it's running towards Lee's tied up plastic bag.  We rescue the bag.
Lee starts..."Paul, I had an inspiration............."  That's about as far as he gets before I can't remember what interrupted him.
TequilaJohn and Cary come in, the three of us move to the far end of the bar because there's room down there.  Lee is left on his stool.
Motion for Lee to move on down to our end of town, he drags his stool and the plastic bag with him.

"Paul, I had an inspiration.  I was issued this blanket (he pats the plastic bag) when I went to Vietnam and have always considered it good luck.  It is the reason I made it out alive and have kept it ever since.  I thought it was time to give it to your son.  I know it will bring him good luck too.  I just know it will."

A wave of humanity comes in on me knocking me to the ground.

I'm sort of speechless.  "This is the one thing that you think kept you alive and you want to give to my son?  Are you sure?"

"I know it will bring him good luck, I just know it will and so yes I do."

I wait until I get home before I cry.......


Olive Drab Talisman

No comments:

Post a Comment