Thursday, September 1, 2016

Take What's Given

Been in Central Cali now for most of a week shooting vineyards.  Up before dawn to get the sunrise light and staying until after the sun goes down to get that liquid gold afternoon light....or whatever kind of light is being offered.

A week here then almost two more weeks shooting in NorCal and in the Sierra Foothills.  Lot's of sunrises, sunsets, rabbits, deer, owls and hawks.

A couple of nights ago I'm on my ladder in the middle of a vineyard, it's getting real close to dark.  An ATV is driving towards me.  This is not uncommon for someone to come a calling to see who you are and what you're doing.   I climb down as the ATV approaches and there's a maybe high school aged girl driving.  She's got a rifle on her lap.
Me..."I'm working for J Lohr"
Her..."I'm looking to shoot some coyotes."
My eyes are darting because my first thought is she's looking for the guys who bring people in over the Mexican border.  First thought, like I say since we are way too far North for that but for that first instant I was concerned she thought I may have been a coyote.
Her...They get our chickens.  This time of year they're real mangy looking, eyes are all crusty too.  Tell me if you see one."
She drives off real slow.

Yesterday morning, a man from the next farm to where I'm standing comes out of his place, gets in his truck and drives over to me.  I watched him the whole way.  Tells me I should move a hundred yards South.  That's where the moon will come up right over a big tree.  I tell him well I won't be around for the full moon.  He shrugs, gets back in his truck and drives back to his place.

This morning a truck stops, leaves it running and the guy gets out to asks if today's light is any good for photos.

Me...."Well, you gotta take whatever it is that's given to you.  It's all a gift."

Him..."I s'pose it is that."

This morning's gift.



Edit....and snakes, tarantulas and a most magnificent Elk.

No comments:

Post a Comment