Thursday, March 1, 2018

Bringing in the Sheaves

Here we go rejoicing,
Bringing in the sheaves.

Used to sing that hymnal back in the Hawker United Church of Christ in Beavercreek, Ohio.
As a too young person to be forced to go to church, I thought they were singing
"Bringing in the sleeves."

Which to my mind, didn't mean nothing because who cares if they're bringing in some sleeves.

Rejoicing, I can understand.

Taylor and I talked about me making some sort of arch for her wedding coming in the Fall.
I thought I could construct it out of the canes that are pruned off in winter time from the grape vines.

I email Jeff and asked if he would let me know when the workers start to prune so I can gather off the ground.
Jeff gives the word, I head up to what they call Carol's Vineyard.

Half of it is gone!
But praise! Half of it is still there with canes lying about.

A woman with her dog in a pickup with the vineyard management logo on the side slowly drives by, checking me out as to why I'm there.
But I have my super powers cape on and turn so she can read the back of it.
"J Lohr"
She nods and keeps on a moving.

A few minutes later a young man with a blessed smiling face comes up on an ATV.  We talk.
When did you rip out the vineyard
A couple months ago
Why? Disease?
Broken water pipes....and maybe disease.
I thought I noticed some disease, I've been photographing this vineyard for years.

We talk some more, he bids me ado with a big smile.
I ask if he likes his job, his smile becomes even bigger.

He turns his face skyward, stretches his arms outward and says "I love my job, being outside, watching it grow and die each season."
He was in church, didn't need nobody preaching this or that at him.  The birds, the wind, the clouds, the sun...that's his choir singing the hymns.
It starts to rain on me, not from the sky but from the sprinklers.  Anyway, I have enough canes gathered into sheaves that I pack up and head back.

 The international orange super powers cape.


Later, while jamming with Tony and Jules, I sketch a bit between songs as to the design of the arch that Taylor and Nick will stand under.
I'm thinking maybe a spiral arch.
Rejoice,
Rejoice!

No comments:

Post a Comment