Monday, November 12, 2018

Outgrowth


Me, this morning reflected in a bottle of Rosé Champagne I was photographing.
Last night, now that was so different then this morning.

Next door neighbor, Crystal used the studio to record and video one of her original pieces of music.  Nine piece orchestra.  Crystal plays the cello.

Mark, her husband setting up the mics, Crystal warming up.
 The rest of the players start to arrive.
Tuning and Mark still fiddling with the mics
Crystal had done some changes from the last time the group had played it.  They nuance out the differences.
Conductor asked how she wanted a particular part to be played, Crystal says "Like a slingshot to the Universe."
Checking sound levels before the audience is allowed in.
And of course, my camera gets put away since it gets in the way of listening so the last one of the evening is after final claps and the conductor wants a group shot.
I'll admit I'm not up to speed on classical music.  I just don't understand the math behind I guess but wow, last night I got it.  The opening violin parts were so fraught with impending failure I found myself clenching my fists until they were out of danger when the thicker string instruments came in to strengthen their resolve.  Gorgeous, lush, resonant without the razorness of other more live sound spaces.  Like the conductor said, it was the space between the notes that sounded so good in here.





No comments:

Post a Comment