Thursday, June 11, 2020

Medium Format shoots Large Format

A primary Studio Manifesto of mine.
Keep it fluid.
Put it on wheels.
Try not to make it permanent.

For the past three weeks, the only thing that hasn't been moved in the studio is the table saw, the liquor cabinet and kitchen stove.

I named this restaurant Large Format in my head to keep on point messaging wise while I built the photo.
Going back to another of the early mantras that was pounded into the head at photo school was...
"You don't take a photograph, you make a photograph."

And this is why I love studio work.  Every single thing within the format is on purpose, every color, every shaft of light, every prop.
You build it.

To non wine folks, Large Formats refer to oversize wine bottles.  I included a quantity of Large Format bottles in the shot but I also used it conceptually with large rough textures and other big elements.

The kitchen taken apart so I could shoot across that space.

Of note is oh maybe a hundred napkins in the foreground of every color and print that has been amassed over the decades.

I'm particularly smitten with myself on the solution of flipping over a dragon because this "table" needed a base.
You don't take it, you make it.

No comments:

Post a Comment