Wednesday, December 21, 2016

To hold spices


A short history.  3003 was sold as a as is, don't ask too many questions, don't look too closely deal.  Two of the four brick walls were hidden behind two stud and drywall walls.  When I took my sledge and crowbar to those two stud and drywall walls this was why the sellers didn't want too many questions asked.  Funny though is I did ask what were they hiding behind the stud and drywall walls.

They said they weren't hiding nothing.  (except for huge ass holes in the brick)

Decided to fill in the holes in the wall with concrete.
The concrete pour came out imperfectly perfect.  Exactly unexact.  Annie's clean canvas for color completion.

I made some shelves for the part of the wall that will be eventually be the kitchen.  Bought some thick aluminum but the rest came from what was in the space already.  When the earthquake comes, the strongest place to be will be under the shelves.  Way way way overbuilt.  But they fit right in I think.
The angle steel was left up on the rafters, the big spikes I used to anchor the shelf supports were also scavenged from 3003.

Tapped the pieces together with 1/4-20's

Everything is held to the concrete with 18 1/2" bolts...4 would have been overkill.  18 is insane.


I'm sure the mantra at Ikea is "From Ikea to the landfill as soon as possible."  I was at a holiday party yesterday afternoon.  A holiday party of photographers, quite a few were there.  Two of them were talking about using Ikea kitchen cabinets in their recent construction.  I threw up a bit in my mouth.  Have we stooped this far to think that buying this shit that is only manufactured to hold up long enough for the warranty to expire is ok?  I refuse to be part of the march toward mediocrity.  I refuse to surround myself with particle board shit held together loosely with the flat pack mentality.

So until I can make something that is right for this space, this space right here then the shop tables and old decommissioned work benches that are being used right now will do just fine.  Better funky cool than something that makes me vomit every time I see it.





No comments:

Post a Comment