Monday, December 12, 2016

Holding Breath

I had made a wooden something to hold the stereo components for my second studio.  That was maybe 25 years ago.  The wooden something didn't seem to fit in at 3003 visually so I utilized some of what was left behind here to make a metal something more befitting the West Oakland aesthetics.

The wooden something was strong and enclosed, the components felt safe and secure.
 
But now I'm understanding how fragile and insecure Life here on Planet Earth is.
And how fucking beautiful Life here on Planet Earth is.

The first thing you see as you come into 3003 is how the beautiful music that is filling the space is balanced so precariously.
Three of four support points are on thick steel, the fourth has nothing.  It is depending upon the other three for the survival of all.  The strong here need to hold up the weak.
Maybe the current times demanded me to build it like this.
You look at this and there's this unsettled angst in you.  Metaphorically you hold your breath a bit.

I think it's good.  The fragile unsettled chaos is good.


The top photo is one of the attachments the sculptor before me used to bolt his gantry to the timbers of the roof.  I wire brushed off the dirt but left the patina.  The receiver was too big so I tapped another piece of steel to support the third foot.  And tapped that with three 1/4-20's to fine tune the support.
And since listening to music is such an orgasm for me, I put on a high polish at the end of that piece to underline the Big O.












More




No comments:

Post a Comment