Sunday, March 29, 2020

I've said it before

I don't like finishing.
Don't know anybody who does.  I'm sure they are out there, but I haven't met one yet.
And I knew some in the business of the finishing business.  They both drank a lot.

This piece became so unwieldy I had to dismantle the living room to work on it, you can see the rolled up rug next to the CD earthquake moment frame.
Anyway, this one is in the books.






Bonus pics of life crawling up a newly made trellis and four leftover triangles from the above project made into one square.  The square hole in the middle turned out to be the perfect size to tap and screw onto the earthquake bolts on the outside.



Just a note for the young(er) type readers and for those who may read this in the distant future.  There used to be a time in the not distant past that having big knots with holes and sapwood show was a definite no-no.  Especially with walnut and the other domestic furniture woods.  But not only have tastes and acceptability change but the availability of clear and wide wood is getting more difficult.  Yes, slabs are in current vogue but come with their own defects.  Now we or maybe I welcome the defects, the sapwood, the knots and the holes.  They are of the tree and are to be accepted.

No comments:

Post a Comment