Friday, October 9, 2026

A Light 1100 gram Light

Reflected light coming off the kiln.


 And a WIP.

Ok, ok. People nowdays have short attention spans. I'm going to trace that back to where MTV started to do that fucking trend of super short cuts, images flashing by like that scene in ClockWork Orange.

So last talk about hanging lamps until late December.

What do you want first?  Got it.  The WIP.

Annie's Kitchen Floor 

First of many laydowns


She paints with her fingerbrush.  Correction burnishes with her fingerbrush.



The first thing they teach you at the first day of art school is negative space.  Then after coffee break they tell you how important diagonals are.  How diagonals convey emotions and forward movement and stuff like that.  Seeing how important they are, I would incorporate that into this light.

   



As an aside, why is color theory is still a theory?  You'd think by now it could have been proven.

Onto the build.  The structure is made from 24 of these.  15 degree angle, 5.5" long, quarter inch slot in the end.

Starting to wrap the diagonal pieces of Doug Fir.  I've gotten my process dialed in that I can consistently shave off another ten thous off of each resaw.  Real close to .034".










And just for shits and giggles I pull out the Bridge City JMP to cut the pieces for my signature bottoms.

I decide to put an Islamic pattern on the bottom of the light and thought I would try to curve it.

Glued up four pieces and slept on it and decided to make it flat instead.  By the way, if you're looking for anything about Islamic design, any stuff by Eric Broug is highly recommended.





Looking at things while still on the bench.


The rest are from it's temporary hanging spot in the studio until it's given away, like all art should be. 












Wait a minute, you're demanding more bonus pics!

Woven wood, fall roses, and sawdust on cymbals





No comments:

Post a Comment