Sunday, February 15, 2015

Anno Numero Due

This is my second year of making Nocino.  Last year's big talk about it here.

This year I decided to age 5 liters of the Everclear based portion of it in a new American oak cask.  Wisely I wrote down when I did because it would have only been a vague date if I hadn't.
Aug 29th for some reason.

Also made a few liters using Vodka as the base but that's been in glass from the beginning.
Bottled it today.  I still need to do a new label this year and then I'll be able to give a few of the bottles away to the ones that would appreciate it the most.

Taste.  Totally different this time around.  I made a decision to have each year to be it's own child.  Not trying to make it taste like the year before unless it does so naturally.  Mix up the recipe, try different aging schedules, start with walnuts at different maturation points, etc.

Throughout the year I save bottles that have a character or size to them and those will be the soldiers that will hold this year's Nocino.

Thanks once again to my good friend Bill for his nuts!  Yes sir ree, his nuts.


No comments:

Post a Comment