Monday, November 13, 2017

How I do(did) it.

Not that I do a lot of inlay work but this is how I did this project.

Stuck down some painters tape where I wanted the leaves to go and with a couple small drops of super glue on the tips I glued them down.  With an Exacto I traced the outline around the leaf and peeled the leaf off with the help of a chisel.

It left the exact outline of the leaf but also provided a "ledge" almost that allowed the chisels to register against.  I'm finding I'm using the tape and knife method more and more to mark out work. Much much easier to see as well, as opposed to the other methods of layout.

Routed out the shape as close to the line as possible of course.

Mostly used a 1/8" chisel on it's side going downhill on the grain.  The above leaf's point wasn't too sharp so this one was easy but the others where the leaf ended in a very small point I sort of hacked away at with the Exacto knife and an engraving tool I ground down to a very tiny point.
The binocular close-up headgear (can't seem to remember it's real name) of course is paramount for this scale of work.

Glue up and the leaf right after taking off the clamps.




I like to do a rough trim down with a gooseneck Japanese chisel.  Very satisfying to feel the chisel peel off the wood and watch it curl up and away.
This is straight off the chisel work with a bit of moisture to see the grain better.
And that's that.









No comments:

Post a Comment