Sunday, July 29, 2018

Maybe Not Wheel Re-Invention

But it often times feels like it to me.

Weather stripping.  I'm talking about around doors.  Seems to me the state of the art is pretty dismal.
Seems they use cheap ass vinyl or something that quickly loses it's resilience and before long it's impotent.
I've had some surgical tubing for decades that I've used in various capacities in photography that is still like it's brand new.  You squeeze it together, it pushes back.  You take off pressure it stands right up again.

So here's an initial trial to see if proof of concept works.
A dovetail slot is cut (in the trial I think the slope of the dovetail is too much) and then a rod is pushed in locking the tubing in the slot.
This is an 1" ID tubing.  Probably too big, I admit, but when pressure is applied it compresses right down.  Check back with me in ten years for my one decade old review.




Once again I needed support to hang the long wood off of a machine.  There's no way the horizontal mortiser could handle the torque as it travels through it's XY route.  I tried hanging it off a Skyhigh Combo Triple Riser with a hank of rope thinking it would allow it to swing as the machine went in and out, left and right.
Worked somewhat.



Didn't know how to re-invent the wheel here.  Had to resort to a sign telling me to watch the bit.  This particular one has the nastiest of habits of working itself out of the machine and causing all kinds of bad shit.



No comments:

Post a Comment