Sunday, August 5, 2018

Bringing the two sides together

Still have people knocking on the door looking to buy some granite.  Just last week, a man peered in the gate looking for some stone, or so he said, because he also asked for a shot of booze.   I think maybe the stone thing was a ruse just to be able to ask for some alcohol.  Whatever, I opened up a bottle of wine and gave him the bottle along with the cork and he walked away happy.

There was a sculptor in here before, but before him was a granite and marble place.

So there was quite a bit of leftover pieces of marble and granite.  A whole next lot filled with it.
Two pieces I glued around the backdoor and waited until the inspiration arrived on how to bring them together.

Leftover piece of Eucalyptus was finally decided upon.  I didn't put a finish on it.  I slicked it down with a stick of Yew wood I took from the yard I grew up at in Beavercreek, Ohio.  Burnish it with quite a bit of force and speed. It gets so smooth with that method. Bone can be used as well.  It's an old way to work the wood.







I'm using a mortise and loose tenon construction on the big back courtyard doors.  Didn't want to but I didn't have the lengths of wood needed to make the tenons solid.  Waiting to be glued here.
The doors are together, sanded, hinges on.  They're all ready to go.  Waiting for some smaller weatherstripping before I muscle them up to vertical.

10'11" Kanji edge shaving.



No comments:

Post a Comment